Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Retrospective: Week Thirteen

‹prev | My Chain | next›

In an ongoing effort to make this chain as valuable as possible to myself (and possibly others), I perform a weekly retrospective of how the past week went (notes from last week). I do this on Tuesdays to avoid conflicts with B'more on Rails, which usually holds events then.

WHAT WENT WELL

  • Implemented a static file server in fab.js. It was easy! Yeah, yeah, it's easy to implement a static file server in any language, but it was fun with fab.js.
  • Got my (fab) game into a proper github repository. Try it!
  • Not really proper chain work, but I got a patch accepted into fab.js and accepted a patch to couch_docs. Hard-core forking action going on here!
  • Figured out how to include libraries (like fab.js) in node.js. Bottom line: use ~/.node_libraries.
  • Fixed a bug in my <canvas> watching code.
  • Made my room event handler browser independent (well at least in Chrome and Firefox).
  • Got initial support for multi-user rooms in place.

OBSTACLES / THINGS THAT WENT NOT SO WELL

  • Troubleshooting comet broadcast messages is brutal.
  • Lack of tests are really starting to hamper development.

WHAT I'LL TRY NEXT WEEK

  • I WILL test this week! A helpful reader commented with some pointers when I lamented my lack of fab.js testing last retrospective. This week, I will do something about it.
  • I might have a look at raphael.js to ease some of my <canvas> development.
  • Start winding up my fab.js / <canvas> experiment. I would like to hand something off to my kids that exposes something of an API for them to code animations and collision detection.


Day #100

No comments:

Post a Comment